Our History | Working in the Portland Area since 1988!
At Human Solutions, our vision is to foster a prosperous and healthy community that is free of homelessness and of the devastating effects of homelessness and poverty.
- In 1988Human Solutions was created from the Multnomah County Community Action Agency to provide seniors and low-income households with home weatherization and utility assistance. Over the past quarter century, we have expanded our services to meet the needs of Mid and East Multnomah County, which has made Human Solutions more effective in combating homelessness and poverty.
- The 1980sIn the late 1980s, Human Solutions was able to shelter approximately 10 homeless families each night. Today, Human Solutions is the largest provider of shelter and housing for homeless families in Multnomah County, serving over 700 people in more than 240 homeless families on any given night. Today, homeless children have a safe place to sleep and play, while their parents work with our staff to begin to rebuild their lives and work towards becoming self-sufficient.
- The 1990sIn 1994, Human Solutions built its first affordable housing complex in Gresham. Since then, Human Solutions has either built or rehabilitated 16 affordable housing complexes containing 608 apartments. We will break ground on our 17th housing complex, which will be located at N.E. 99th and Glisan, later this summer. Today, hundreds of families have access to safe housing and services such as budgeting classes and homework help programs for their children.
- The 2000sIn 2005, Human Solutions developed its first employment program to help very low-income people with barriers to obtaining living wage employment. Today, more than 300 people each year receive employment and job skills training so they can find work that pays a living wage.
- The 2010sIn 2011, Human Solutions completed The Rockwood Building in Gresham. The Rockwood Building provides a wide array of services for low-income and homeless residents of East Multnomah County.